Reading time: 3 – 4 minutes Tweet Business people utilize social media to optimize outreach to customers and partners. Loyal consumers of particular companies are often interested in what executives have to say. Similarly, companies also have plenty of reasons to stay updated on the latest events relating to business partners. Being concise is an […]
Archive for October, 2010
Reading time: 2 – 2 minutes
Small and mid-sized businesses nowadays need to expand their presence online especially when getting customers and profit is at stake. If you are a business owner or is planning to start one, you just simply can’t rest on your laurels even though you’re reaping revenues offline or on site.
The Internet has been expanding at an enormous rate as users continue to grow and more eyes are driven into this virtual world. Given this vast numbers, would be great if your business will get a share of this audience that are willing to buy online and engage with your company in the fastest way possible?
A great website doesn’t begin with simply having a domain, it must also have a reliable web hosting service that will keep it live 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year. The competition is pretty stiff in this industry thus, these web hosting providers have to battle for every customer that they could find.
There are endless promotions from different web hosting providers online so it’s essential to find out the exact type of hosting solution that fits your needs without wasting unused resources and to avoid throwing money down the drain since bandwidth costs are most often fixed for shared hosting services.
In case you need more freedom from the technical requirements of maintaining a website, you can always dig the help of managed hosting services.
Existing web-based businesses who already owns their servers but want adequate space, temperature control and security for their hardware on an enterprise-like setting, collocation solutions is the key.
Based on experience, start-ups normally start small and with newly built sites, it’s expected that there would only be few traffic so it’s practical to begin with shared hosting services. By the time a need arises for more bandwidth to handle traffic spikes, then you can upgrade anytime.
Reading time: 2 – 2 minutes
As an administrator and editor of this software review site, one of the perks I have is to be able to test some tools and applications first-hand before they even go out of the market or sometimes being contacted to promote products in behalf of software developers and publishers.
We have worked closely with some and among which are the makers of MacX DVD Ripper Pro and WinX DVD Ripper Platinum—Digiarty Software Inc.
They have chosen Software Critics again to promote one of their best selling products, the MacX DVD Ripper Pro inline with the upcoming Halloween as they celebrate its foundation.
The MacX DVD Ripper Pro designed for Mac has the capacity to access all types of DVD protection technology including CSS encryption, Sony ARccOS encryption, RCE Region protection, Disney X-project DRM, and a lot more. It also support ripping DVDs to AVI, MP4, MPEG, FLV, AVI, iPhone 4, iPad, iPod touch 4, PSP, Apple TV, etc. It stands out among similar DVD ripper software in market by speed, quality and DVD encryption ability.
Windows users aren’t forgotten since they can also take advantage of the same features that MacX DVD Ripper Pro can offer via the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.
This free software giveaway started last Oct. 12 and will end on Oct. 28, 2010. So, if you’d like to get a free licensed copy, simply sign-up to our newsletter by filling out the form on the right. Existing newsletter subscribers can get their copy by visiting the Software Critics Fan page particularly in the Discussions section on Facebook but you have to “Like” us first if you haven’t done so.
Reading time: 2 – 3 minutes
This is a Sponsored Post written by me on behalf of Birch Grove. All opinions are 100% mine.
Keeping a watchful eye on your employees especially on what they do online and how they are maximizing their time during work hours is crucial to maintaining productivity levels in the organization.
At home, parents also have the responsibility to monitor what their kids are doing especially when they are exposed to the threats of cyberspace.
In line with these measures, Birch Grove Software, a company based in Texas has developed a free employee monitoring software called ActivTrak that can track computer related activities in detail from application logs, documents opened to sites visited in just a few clicks from a remote desktop in real-time.
The software has a client-server architecture that allows an administrator to install invisible clients on the computer being monitored which any user without administrator rights can remove or deactivate.
The free version of ActivTrak can only monitor up to three (3) computers (without any functional limitations) which is enough for small private business and homes with children using computers regularly.
Compared to most types of remote monitoring software that I used, ActivTrak is the only one giving their tool for free and not just for one but for three computers as clients.
Being a software critic myself, I normally have to try and test these tools before posting about them but this time, I’m leaving it to you, the reading public, to find out and tell me what you think about this software.
You can download activtrak from here and use it for free. I might as well come up with another post about this so stay tuned.
Reading time: 2 – 2 minutes
Mobile blogging is becoming so common these days so it’s impossible not to see applications here and there for smartphones that caters to this growing number of users. Being a smartphone user myself, I have taken advantage of WordPress for Nokia specifically for the Symbian S60v3 to be able to update my sites while on the go.
Updating your WordPress-powered sites while traveling has never been this easier because through your mobile phone, you don’t have to carry that bulky laptop with you to complete such task. iPhone or iPad users however can’t be any happier with the newly released WordPress for iPhone version 2.6 application (which also works on the iPad) that provides users with more features that can help them maximize their mobile blogging requirements.
Read more about the latest WordPress iPhone app here.
Having these WordPress applications installed on our mobile phones definitely makes blogging so much easier and fun. Simply connect to the internet and you’re off to creating and sharing content to the world in just a few touches as they happen.
Reading time: 2 – 3 minutes
We are faced with challenges each day both easy and hard but the more we’re able to survive as we progress in this game called life, the more we get up each time we fall, the more we become better individuals.
Who would ever think that what happens in real life can be turned into a free game that people can enjoy but learn something out of? Yes, you’ve read it right. A free online game entitled 56 Sage Street which was powered by Adobe can turn your gaming experience into a positive and rewarding past-time that guides you in finding the right job in a virtual city, find places to stay, meet new challenges and mingle with other characters or individuals playing online in order to make it to the top.
The idea of the game is more like surviving each day in the city like most of us face everyday from the moment we wake up ‘til the time we get back home and manage our lives and our family.
The game is best played by acquiring as many jobs as you can in order to get money while taking into consideration your health and appearance like in real life. Although money is involved, the game also tackles decision-making and spending finances wisely as the game progresses.
More than just an online game, 56 Sage Street is turning the gaming experience into a more productive hobby. So, if you’re in for a sensible and almost like in real-life type of flash game, then Barclays’ 56 Sage Street is for you. If you need more convincing, then better watch the video below.
This is a Sponsored Post brought to you by our friends from Barclays.
Reading time: 5 – 8 minutes
The use of smartphones is becoming mainstream and its evolution has taken the utility of mobile devices to another level. Smartphones operating on Symbian, which is the name given to a united group of open source operating system along with software platforms especially designed for smartphones, the Symbian S60 series is the most used Symbian OS. The base or the S60 series was created by Nokia, a reputable mobile brand, who has marked its contribution towards the Symbian foundation and one of the largest mobile phone manufacturers in the world adopts the S60 series software in their smartphones including companies like Lenovo, LG Electronics, and Siemens among others.
Symbian S60 series is a complete operating system that supports applications such as C++, Python, and Adobe Flash as well as Java MIDP. The S60 series facilitates installation of registered programs from registered developers which increases the application access in the smartphones. There are several indispensable applications that you can download and use on your Symbian S60 smartphones and the best ones have been compiled just for you.
- Google maps. Google map is probably one of the most important applications anyone must have. They act as a guide and a reference when one is out in an unknown area. Google map application helps one to find out the exact location of a place where one is standing. The application works well on the S60 5th edition which is especially designed for smartphones. The application displays both the landscape and portrait mode along with touch-panning of maps in the countries where such facilities are available. Astonishingly, the centric search tool in this application can search for the nearest pizza corner or plumber and even hairdressers.
- YouTube for Mobile. Yes, you’ve read it right. YouTube now have its mobile version to make it easier to watch videos directly from your mobile. The flash player installed on the phone helps to play the video. Although certain delays occur when viewing videos due to functioning of the flash player, this application still works equivalently well on facilities with Wi-Fi and 3G but the basic idea is to get a hold of a good connection as fast as possible. Picture quality at some instances may not be crystal clear however; one can manage for a time being with QVGA image quality.
- Gmail. The Gmail facility in your smartphone allows you to keep on track with your important emails. It is a java based application which provides you with similar benefits that you can get on a PC. Gmail enables email forwarding, saving and making selections from your mobile.
- BBC player. For all entities whether belonging to the corporate world or from the security market. This is one of the most awaited applications in the S60 series as BBC player provides the user with an option access a multiple choice of media in form of TV, Radio, etc. It has come out to be one of the best applications in terms of utility and user interface. The application is precise and very helpful.
- Opera mini. The Opera mini application is a compulsion for every internet addict. The application helps an individual to browse the internet faster and that too at a reasonable speed. The opera mini latest version is packed with features like multi-tab browsing, download resume, and bookmarking among other things which enhances the facility of browsing. You may also try Opera Mobile in place of this one.
- Quick office v6 (upgrade). This application is common among smartphones regardless if you’re a businessman or a student. The Quick Office V6 helps you manage your presentation and text documents on the go by way of such application. Managing your documents on the go has never been so simple.
- AccuWeather. Supported in the Symbian S60 series, this app tells you about the weather forecast and the temperature. When one is not sure about the present conditions, one can definitely make use of this application to get some information with respect to the current climatic condition.
- Ovi. Nokia Ovi is one of the latest sensations in the world of Symbian application. Nokia Ovi helps an individual keep a back up of his vital documents and folders that are stored on his smartphone into his Windows PC or Mac. The application reduces worries of the owner in terms of loosing his valuable information and it can accommodate up to 10 GB storage for such purpose.
- Wireless keyboard. A very vital application which facilitates the use of wireless keyboards in case of full touch screen smartphones. Nokia 5800 is an example of such beautiful creation which has no keypads attached to it so this application allows the use of wireless keyboards. *This functionality can be found on the Nokia E71 and can be helpful when blogging using WordPress app for Nokia.
- Fring. How can one forget Fring when it comes to smartphone applications? Fring is a newly released application that uses the integration to Skype to facilitate VoIP on smartphones. The application allows a user to keep in touch with all his friends and colleagues at any time. *In this regard, you may also try Spokn for the E-series and N-series phone since it is easier to use or Skype for Mobile instead. There are a lot of upcoming VoIP apps for mobile phones nowadays so it’s better to really know which one works best.
There you have it, the ten (10) indispensable applications that support Symbian S60 OS. I hope that you’ll find this post very helpful since each of them have functionalities that are very handy and in all cases a necessity for smart smartphone users. Keep locked in and see you next time for more great posts like these.
Mr. Thomas Davies, a versatile application developer, who is currently working on problems relating to streaming video problems and free podcast software. He has spent 25 years of his life for software development and is still working on them with keen dedication to provide the world with something new over and over.
Reading time: 2 – 3 minutes
There’s really no better way of spending this summer in the UK with your family where you can bond and share happy moments taking pictures and spending quality time either on the beach, camping or visiting your local zoo.
But when hunger kicks in, there’s a much better place to satisfy those appetite and it’s only at Pizza Hut where Kids Eat Free so not only will you enjoy your meal-time together but you can also save.
This summer, Pizza Hut brings the joy to every kid with their free meal offer wherein for every adult meal main course or adult lunchtime buffet purchased, an accompanying child can choose from either a FREE 2 course kids meal (includes a drink) or a FREE kids lunchtime buffet (includes pizza, pasta and salad).
The promo is extended until January 9, 2011. For more details regarding this offer, you can visit this link http://bit.ly/a1DhgJ.
At Pizza Hut, the fun never stops. At the bottom of any Pizza Hut receipt, you’ll find an offer code. All you need to do is enter this code at http://www.pizzahut.co.uk/familyadventures in order to get great deals on a wide range of fun-filled family activities and adventure getaways including holidays, theme parks, zoos and a whole lot more. Like most child psychologists advise, the early stages of a kids growth is crucial since this is where they can remember the most of their childhood days so let’s make the most of it, make it fun and show them that we care and love them. So, eat with them everyday while you can and give them this summer treat only at Pizza Hut!
This is a Sponsored Post brought to you by our friends from Pizza Hut.
Reading time: 3 – 4 minutes
Well, to tell you what, embarrassing mistakes doesn’t only happen over the phone. In fact, companies offering chat support services are never an exception but could be even worse.
This site’s hosting is about to end in a the next few weeks so I was trying to check on other web hosting providers on the possibility of switching host since these past few months was really bad in terms of the quality of hosting that I was getting from BlueHost. In fact, it even had a DDOS attack on its servers several months ago that paralyzed all of my sites and I can never forget that because of the revenue losses and that they didn’t even announced anything about it on their Twitter account.
I was looking at transferring to Hostgator as I have tried them in the past but I would also like to consider cloud hosting so I thought of checking with them and so as a result, I became engaged with a chat support agent and here’s how the conversation goes:
Welcome to Rackspace. How can I assist you?
You have been connected to Gerben G.
Gerben G: Hi there, how can I help?
Customer: Do you now offer paypal payment modes?
Gerben G: Well, we are PCI compliant. Just give you a full idea of what Rackspace would offer; we would manage the network, hardware, operating system, data back-ups and actively provide patching. This is then backed up with the most aggressive SLA’s available. You can also choose to have remote access to the server so that you can install/upload what you require. How does that sound so far?
Customer: that’s not my question!
Gerben G: Well, basicly we only do the hosting, so you can install and run what you want on that, but we don’t offer that
Customer: you’re not getting my question do you?!??!?!?!
Customer: i was asking if you’re accepting paypal!!1
Customer: how can that be hard?
Gerben G: Sorry, no we don’t accept paypall yet
Customer: that’s what I was trying to know.
Gerben G: Bye
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
As you can see, my question is pretty clear. I have already asked this sometime ago so I am aware that they do not offer Paypal as a payment method so I thought of asking the same question hoping that this time they would but I was wrong. I tried again to find out if they already do but instead of getting a straight forward answer, I got annoyed with an answer which is not even related to what I am asking.
I know you guys at Rackspace wanted to promote your services but please, learn how to answer questions correctly first so I can be impressed because this scenario only made me go away even further from considering your services as I am afraid that this could happen again in case I took your services and the chat agent who handles the concern could hardly even answer a very simple question.
Do you have a similar chat support experience as I do? Please share them.